Re: How long should it take to fix a obvious memory leak?

Hi Ma,

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 22:44 +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Luis Menina <liberforce freeside fr> wrote:
Could you please avoid getting that harsh in all your messages? I think
I'm not the only getting upset by the way you handle communication.

Focus on the bug, rather than how it is shown to you, please.

The "you vs. me" is not how it works, and there's no good excuse for you
to not bring it up in a friendlier way.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html has a nice
section which explains how free and open source software development is
done in general when it comes to expectations:
"No obligation. "Open Source" is not the same as "the developers must do
my bidding." Everyone here wants to help, but no one else has any
obligation to fix the bugs you want fixed. Therefore, you should not act
as if you expect someone to fix a bug by a particular date or release.
Aggressive or repeated demands will not be received well and will almost
certainly diminish the impact and interest in your suggestions."

Please directly contact the maintainers of a module before sending this
kind of message to the d-d-l, and try some psychology: asking somebody
to do something works much better if you kindly ask, and thank people,
rather than if you imply that they either are morons or slackers.

GNOME is a community, GNOME is people. Smashing people the ones against
the others helps nobody...

I don't think it would be better to put finger towards some particular
person. I just want this problem fixed, indeed.

It's entirely up to you and your wording if you "put the finger towards
some person" (though having the feeling that you'd blame somebody by
contacting them directly might be based on different cultural
backgrounds?).

Trying to find a better target audience first for your friendly request
to take a look at a patch (I've pointed to the python hackers mailing
list before) sounds more helpful than the rather generic and noisy
desktop-devel-list.