Re: Apologize and to take PyGTK (was: How long should it take to fix a obvious memory leak?)‏

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 01:23 +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:

If you can trust me, I had fun with writing a Python 3.2 extension
recently (using plain C/API), this is not open sourced yet.

I know some basic Git, honestly need to learn branching stuff though.

My vision:
Currently I'm only motivated by previously mentioned bug.
But I'm also become a bit more interested after hearing some bug statistics.

Good; thanks for stepping up to keep the maintanership of pygtk going.

I've pushed Owen's patch from bug #660216, as it also contains fixes for
two other leaks.

I've also pushed a little update to pygtk.doap to list John Stowers as
the last active maintainer, per Dieter's mail
(https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2013-April/msg00085.html).

If you want, I can guide you through the basic process of making a
release.  I tried a quick "autogen.sh" of pygtk and it doesn't work, but
I didn't actually check to see if it is due to me not having some of the
dependencies for building Gnome 2 stuff, or if pygtk's autofoo is just
bit-rotten.  I guess that would be your first task - sorry that it's not
the most fun thing in the world to start with, but a maintainer's life
is hard :)

Also, please read the following:

https://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner
https://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner/Releasing
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pygtk/tree/docs/random/release-checklist

It may all seem overwhelming at first, but it becomes second nature
after the first two or three release tarballs you make.

Please ask John Stowers if he'd agree to pass maintainership on to you,
starting with making a release tarball.

The MATE team is interested in keeping the maintainership of Gnome 2
going, so if you are not in contact with them already, please do so!
I'm sure they can help you with infrastructural stuff.

  Federico