Re: loomio

On Sun, 2013-04-14 at 20:53 -0400, Hashem Nasarat wrote:
[...]
Sriram, while I agree many problems would be alleviated with more
volunteer time, I've witnessed multiple instances in the past 6 months
where decisions were not made democratically, despite a clear lack of
consensus. Most recently, there were a great deal of changes to the
gnome-shell "All Applications" view very late in the 3.8 schedule, well
after code freeze, and despite visible disagreement. Loomio seems to
offer an intuitive way of seeing how controversial a change is.

"If I’d asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a
better horse" -- Henry Ford [1]

Software development is not a democracy.  Decisions are taken by people
who actually develop the software.  Comments might or might not be
welcomed depending of several factors (politeness, pertinence,
reputation, data, etc.).

Some decisions have proven better with the time, some others don't and
get fixed (or tried a different path).

In the development cycle there are plenty of opinions of people
(including developers) who have not tried them.  Some of them are still
valuable, but without real data (not anecdotes) is hard to convince
anybody and require to make a good case.  At the end of the day, you
have to convince people doing the work, who also are actual users of
what they develop.

[1] Although there does not seem evidence he really said that, you get
the point.  Another example you can find it
http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/no-smartphones/

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/