Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 11:18 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
I'm concerned about the "automatically opening dialog" thing because
I'm not sure we can tell when something automatically requests network
or requests network on account of the user.

For instance, is an AJAX request to a website a user request or not?
We don't know. It could be clicking a button in Facebook, or it could
just be the site polling to see if anything new has come in.

There's no possible way the browser even knows, so I don't think it's
a good idea to do this.

That's an edge case, and I'm not sure edge cases in the implementation
should be driving the design. I'm sure we'll find a way.

The other thing that I've been concerned about is that users have
complained about not being able to use their password managers in our
password modal dialogs. I'd like to see something that acknowledges
this complaint.

It's already a problem right now (that Wi-Fi passwords are
desktop-modal). Why are you (as you've already done on IRC) tying this
issue together with the combined system status menu?

Otherwise, the UX of the giant dialog looks good to me, and I'm
already starting to implement it. (But where's the avatar?)

Excellent. Is there a bug to track it?