Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Part two of my reply. :)

Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
>> More details are outlined on the wiki [2]. If you do look at the
>> designs, please pay particular attention to the example scenarios -
>> these give a clearer idea of what the menu will actually look like.
>> The designs aren't finalised yet, so comments and ideas are welcome.
>
> My main concern while looking at the wireframes is that this would
> change the fundamental way a lot of extensions work right now,
> specifically I'm thinking about the MPRIS2 extension in the sound menu
> that allows a very handy change of track or pause of your music which
> would be a pain if done through the activities overview or the system
> tray.

Extension authors can still add their own menus. They could even
relocate the volume sliders to a standalone sound menu if they wanted.

That would kind of defeat the purpose right?  It should be good enough so that extension writers don't have to do a end run around on the design.  Otherwise, a lot of people would just end up using this instruction and ignoring all your hard work.

Per my VPN issue, I would certainly end up installing this extension because it's just too convenient.

sri