Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

Hey Giovanni!

Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
As one of the implementors of the current status icons, and current
developer of gnome-shell, I can tell it's a small can of worms, but that's
not what this is about.
Rather, what I'd like to point out is that, in my opinion, this needs more
thinking through before going straight to shipping.
I mean, I trust the design team and I value your experience in the field,
but this is another radical change, and it's quite different from our
competitors.
Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of two years of betas, so if we
implement and deliver this 3.10, there is a risk of an impendance mismatch
between what's expected from the designs and theory behind them, and how the
user effectively react. Which would bring even more negative publicity to
GNOME.
This is generally a problem of every fast releasing project with little man
power, so it affected many of the features in 3.8 and before, but at least
at time we had the validation of other systems doing the same.
To me, a reasonable compromise (yet to decide if technically possible) would
be to have a "feature branch", that is not merged in master until after it's
thoroughly user tested. And that possibly gets punted to 3.12 or never, if
it turns out to be a bad idea.

Yeah, I'm aware that we need to tread carefully. I've actually spent
quite a while sitting on these mockups, revisiting them and
challenging them with different scenarios - you will also notice that
they are pretty detailed.

So yes, I'm in agreement with you about pushing this prematurely.
Working in a branch seems like it could be a good solution.

Allan