Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On 24 April 2013 02:14, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Marco Scannadinari
<marco scannadinari co uk> wrote:

> I think your suggestion of a "feature" branch can be a worthy compromise, though.

Except that Bastien is right - while on a branch, a feature will
hardly be tested by anyone than other core developers of the same
module. It's unfortunate, but "real" users generally only get to test
a new feature once it appears in their distro (read: some time after
the feature appears in a stable GNOME release).

A branch can be packaged as well.

So one module could have two packages.
One with "mature" UI changes.
One with "controversial" edge UI to be tested.

The edge package is to be installed by default.

Still the user would have the possibility to get it replaced by the other one.

This is basically making sure that we can downgrade/upgrade between two module releases,
which is basically not insured for a module from two GNOME releases.