Re: gnome-control-center/panels/wacom - button mapping panel

Dnia 2013-04-30, wto o godzinie 15:54 +1000, Peter Hutterer pisze:
On 29/04/13 01:33, Przemo Firszt wrote:

I hope to do some work on wacom tablet button mapping in gnome control
center. First mockup of new individual button mapping panel:
http://firszt.eu/wacom-icons/mockup_of_wacom__button_mapping_panel.png

Roadmap:
1. Change existing panel to simple button list + add a new panel
activated after clicking on a button (mockup)

This would mean we're three panels deep to assign a button - not sure
that's a good thing. I don't like the tab approach much either if it's
only going to be one button anyway, this should be window title or similar
I agree with both points. I'm still looking for the best option.

I think using the svg files libwacom provides would be a good approach,
display the tablet and then let the user click on the button to be
assigned - so they don't have to care about the button numbers either.
True - that's probably the easiest for user. I thought about using the existing
osd help, but I don't think it's easily possible.

2. First version would include only existing or already coded features -
single keystroke, on screen help, monitor switch, OLED labels matching
mapping. The last one is waiting for review on bugzilla.
3. Add option to edit label i.e. to show "Save" instead of "Ctrl-S" on
tablet

just as a warning, this has the potential to be confusing. "Save" is not
the same as Ctrl-S and we should not confuse the two. I understand that
the user wants save, but if you e.g. assign Ctrl+C you'll copy in one
app and cancel something in another app. though I guess we'll have to
live with that until we get semantic events.
Switching based on active application would be another solution (windows is
using that approach, most of the time works). Default option will be to generate
Ctrl-S for Ctrl-S keystroke, but I want to have an option to override that i.e.
for gimp users - it's better to have tools names instead of "P" for
paintbrush, "N" for pencil and so on.

other than that I like it, it looks more professional than the current
list IMO.

Thanks for your opinion!
--
Kind regards,