Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM, fr33domlover <fr33domlover mailoo org> wrote:
If someone takes my code and puts it on Github, it's their right to do
so. I won't like it, but I won't stop them. It's their freedom.

But in this case it's not someone randomly copying my work: It's
*direct* mirroring of all my code, directly to Github, in an official
manner.

So, as I understand it, your issue is the official and endorsed use of proprietary technologies in GNOME.

Do you know we have official Twitter, Facebook and Google+ accounts that are updated regularly?

Were you at GUADEC 2013? Beside the slides in every presentation was a public wall that displayed all tweets with the hashtag #guadec. It may have been hooked up to Identi.ca or one of the free software clones, but I didn't notice anybody using those. The design of the wall used Twitter's bird logo and theme.

If you want the features of Github, copy its code and run your own
instance. Using it officially means endorsing it and making it more
popular. If you want to endorse it, I won't stop you. But I don't want
to be part of this because of the Github issues I mentioned.

Convenience is not everything. Some people don't use a smartphone
because they want privacy. Or they don't use GMail, for the same reason.
In a similar manner, people should be able not to have any formal
connection to Github.

I am not a member of the board, but I think that we use proprietary software as a way of competition and collaboration. In my opinion, standing in our own little corner of the world and pretending that the rest of the world doesn't exist is not a way to spread our message and get people using free software.

Yes, we would prefer if Twitter and Facebook and Google+ and GitHub were all open and free, but our road is a long one, and we're still in the early stages of computing, and we need to make peace and collaborate with proprietary software makers, not war.

I'll repeat: You can mirror anything you want to Github, just let module
maintainers decide on their modules. Cloning a git repo and uploading to
Github is very easy, we both know that. It's not like people can't
upload code to Github without the mirrors.