Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On ו', 2013-08-16 at 04:13 -0300, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On 15 Aug 2013, at 22:20, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

       [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
       [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
       [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

   Is it advisable to use nonfree GitHub as a secondary mirror for GNOME's free
   software?

When you say that GitHub is "nonfree", what do you mean by that?
We do not have any definition for calling a service free or nonfree.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html.

It's as much nonfree as Skype which you mention in your signature:

In Skype's case, both the service and the software are nonfree. Either change your sig or accept that you
do have a definition after all ;)

I believe the mentioned article answers your question: GitHub is
essentially SaaS. A proprietary one. Using it is more-or-less like using
Git (with some extras) but through proprietary software. Your git
workflow becomes dependent on GitHub's features and infrastructure,
hence you're denied your freedom (e.g. GitHub could send account details
to a 3rd party, etc. just like many other services, or vendor-lock you
from easily migrating your workflow to other git hosting services).