Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

Il giorno ven, 16/08/2013 alle 12.55 -0400, Richard Stallman ha scritto:
        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

Until today, I was thinking of GitHub as a service, pure and simple,
and believed that the programs used to access it are git (which is
free) and a web browser (which can be free).  Thus, no nonfree
software required.

To Richard: I would like a clarification in this respect. If I use a
non-free web service (for instance, a web service for which the source
code to install it and run it locally is not available), even through a
web API, is it really different from linking to a proprietary library
from my GPL program?

I am talking on *ethical*, not technical grounds. Calling a function
inside a proprietary library is just passing in some arguments and
awaiting a return value, after the code inside the library does
something. Calling a web service is just the same, except I have usually
to serialize my values to be passed as parameters, and the code runs
remotely instead than locally. But I still don't control what's
happening in the middle.

Do you think it is ethically acceptable for a free-software program to
use a proprietary web service API?

Thanks,
--
Matteo Settenvini