Re: Application menus

On Sun, 2013-07-07 at 15:05 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:01:24AM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 08:45 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 16:18 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
I haven't seen an app menu (gmenu) discussion in quite some time, which
is a bit surprising as more apps add them. 3.10 will be the fourth
release featuring app menus, and by now most GNOME applications have
one. But the only information on the GNOME wiki seems to have been
written for GNOME 3.4, and there seem to be some issues and
inconsistencies with the implementation throughout the project.

I've been using GNOME all that time and I'd never noticed them.

This is the one in the top panel which, with focus-follows-mouse,

Which is exactly one of the reasons why focus-follows-mouse isn't an
option we offer/isn't supported. There's probably plenty more things
that don't work well with focus-follows-mouse, so finding creative
solutions to those problems might be required.

  This seems backward. F-f-m was here first,

Was where first? In GNOME? In metacity? In Unix desktops? In Xerox Parc?

 and is still being used by some
minority (me included).  Current designs break f-f-m functionality.  Your comment
about ”finding creative solutions” sounds like F-f-m was something new.

It's not something new, it's something unsupported.

  Designs were made in total ignorance of f-f-m.

Because it's unsupported.

  The requirement should be
restated as ”finding creative solutions for things that used to work”, i.e. things
that were already working, were ”solved”.