Re: git submodules vs translators

On 28/06/13 01:01, Colin Walters wrote:
Any other thoughts?

Last time I accidentally reverted a submodule update, I took a look at the recently-added 'git subtree' as a possible replacement. I haven't actually tried it in practice, and perhaps it would just replace one set of confusing gotchas with another, but I'm pretty sure it resolves this problem of having to remember to run 'git submodule update' after every pull.

(Not to be confused with the subtree merge strategy: see http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/05/alternatives-to-git-submodule-git-subtree/ for an introduction.)

Irrespective of technology, ideally one wouldn't have to care about embedded libraries unless one is actually working on code that actually uses them, whereas right now everyone has to care or risk breaking the build.

--
Will