Re: start contributing to GNOME

Hello, Puja

How would you like to contribute to GNOME?  These are a few options :)

You can contribute to GNOME in many ways (and one of the ways is translation, as you have already started doing so): coding, documentation, art work, bug triaging, user experience research and even marketing!

I am a recent intern from the GNOME Outreach Program for Women OPW) and I contribute to GNOME Documentation. Please take a look at  https://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Tasks/

For coding, there are many GNOME projects that need bug fixing and you can find easy bugs to solve if you search Bugzilla (bugzilla.gnome.org) with keyword "gnome-love": https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=keywords%3Agnome-love

gnome-love indicates that it's a relatively easy bug to solve and assistance will provided by the community in helping you make your contribution.

Have you applied for GSoC or OPW? At the point of writing this am sorry to say that the deadline for both these programs has passed but do consider preparing yourself to apply in the next round.

For bug triaging, consider reading https://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad
It would be of great help to the community if you can correctly assign bugs their keywords and status as I have done here: https://live.gnome.org/sindhus/BugsTriaging

Would you like more help on where to start in any of the following? Do ping anybody on: irc.gimp.net network on the channels:
#docs for documentation related matters
#bugsquad for bug triaging help

You can find out the IRC channel for any GNOME project by simply searching for the project's wiki page on live.gnome.org
For example: http://live.gnome.org/Gitg is the wiki page for the GNOME application Gitg and the developers are available for help on #gitg

I hope this email has been clear in giving you a concise idea on how to take your first step towards contributing to the GNOME community :) That said this mailing list (desktop-devel) is *not* the forum for asking for 'how-to contribute' help. This mailing list is intended for queries related to GNOME Desktop development. Please post queries for help in relevant channels to receive replies that benefit you :)

Thanks.

-Sindhu