Re: Combined system status updates

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
drago01 <drago01 gmail com> wrote:
Me, Jon and Jakub have reviewed the combined system status designs in
the attempt to address the feedback that we've got. A fresh round of
wireframes are now on the wiki [1]. I think that they resolve the most
serious issues that have been raised.

I have just checked under my desk ... wired networks still exists ;)

Heh. :)

One case that was brought up during the discussions was knowing if
your network cable has come loose or disconnected. An idea for this
would be to simply show a notification.

No that's not enough. (+ It means to going back to the useless
notifications we had back in the days that everyone hated).
You'd also want to know whether you got an IP from a router (dhcp) or not etc.
It is basically the same as wifi ... you want to easily check whether
you have an active connection or not without
having to go to the network settings.

Whats wrong with showing an icon like we do for wifi (and always did
in the past for wired as well) ? If there is no cable and don't show
it at all if there are is wifi present (like we do now).  I can't
think of anything that's wrong with that why change it? Which problem
do you want to solve by treating wired as "second class citizen" ?