Re: Combined system status updates

Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek gentoo org> wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Andreas Nilsson <lists andreasn se> wrote:
On 2013-05-13 16:02, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
These look rather nice. My only concern with these wireframes is that
they would make the menu far too long. Would this menu still fit on
1366x768 or 1024x600 screens in landscape mode?

I too was a bit shocked to see the All Possible System Menu, but realized
it's a very extreme case.

It's actually impossible, since airplane mode cancels out some of the
other items. Also, I don't think we're going to have the remote access
and screen sharing integration in there in the first run, which will
give us some space to assess before adding extra features.

Usually a menu would be top ~10 items.

If anyone is interested in this, check out the examples [1]. On a
laptop with a single user account and VPN, I count eight menu items,
for example.

I beg to differ there! On my laptop with its default setup, I would
see 13 items + 5 separators on the menu at all times (increasing to 14
with updates).

Can you explain how you came up with those numbers? Do you have
multiple VPNs/Mobile Broadband connections? I'm not sure that 5
separators will even be possible...

Do we have a mechanism for "scrolling" (or its equivalent) when the
menu length exceeds the screen height? How would this interact with
scroll bars inside sub-menus? Is such a mechanism desirable?

GTK+ menus can certainly scroll when they reach the limit of the
available space. I'm not sure about St ones, but that should be
possible. That said, scrolling a menu isn't a great thing and I'd like
to think that we can avoid it. According to my rough calculations, a
menu with 13 items in it (which would be pretty rare) would be about
550px tall.

Allan

[1]
https://raw.github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/shell/combined-system-status-menu-v2-examples.png