Re: App menu Help/About consistency

Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:

On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 08:49 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 14:51 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
FWIW, I think that core apps shouldn't have an about menu item at
all, and it's what I've done in Totem^WVideos for example.
Maybe. It's nice to be able to see the version number, though.

The version number would be the same as the one in Settings ->
Details.

So you're arguing that users wanting the version string need to know
whether an application is core or not? That users need to know to go to
the “About” menu item, unless this is a core app, in which case open up
a completely separate application and get the version from there?

I think that's quite user-hostile. Better to have a single standard
interface for all applications to report the version string, and the
“About” menu item fits the bill.

--
 \         “Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first |
  `\     principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the |