Re: App menu Help/About consistency

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 14:36 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
In general I would say that they indicate that those items shouldn't
be in the app menu, since they "are specific to a particular window or
view", but I'd be interested to hear how other people would interpret
this based on the draft guidelines, and whether they consider them to
be useful enough.

"Actions that are specific to a particular window or view, or which act
on content within an application window, should not be included."

The middle clause is somewhat stronger than previous guidelines, and I
think it makes a difference. I interpret that to mean that even if your
app is single-instance, you're unambiguously not supposed to put
anything that affects the window in the app menu. That's a big step
towards making app menus more consistent and minimalist, removing the
present conceptual divide between app menus for single-instance and
multi-window apps.

This means Documents, Rhythmbox, and Calculator need to find a new home
for their View settings, for example. It also means we need to be more
aggressive in removing actions that affect the window: for instance,
many games place Undo in the app menu, and Epiphany puts Reopen Closed
Tab there, both of which would need to be moved.

The key word in the sentence you quoted was supposed to be
"particular" - it's supposed to mean that options that affect only one
window or view should be excluded. My interpretation would be that the
Calculator mode is appropriate in the app menu - since it affects all
windows, is a global option for the app, and is likely to be used
infrequently. On the other hand, I would say that the view options for
Documents are inappropriate since they are specific to the overview
part of the application - if you are looking at a particular document
and switch from grid to list, there will be no feedback on screen that
the change had an effect.

I guess I have some work to do to make sure that this is clear. Thanks
for your help with this; it's really useful.

Allan