Re: Unreviewed patches - is the boat sinking?

Am 13.04.2014 09:34, schrieb Joanna Larsen:
Hundreds or thousands of people have taken the time to create a patch, submit it and then heard absolutely nothing back. Any free software project would crave for even this many contributions alone.
As an "ordinary user" I'm afraid to say that this is exactly the impression I got. I only contributed to one project so far and others might be better, but that doesn't improve the situation at all for me.

For this particular project (libRSVG) I wrote a patch, but I never got any reply from any of the developers - despite multiple attempts to reach them via bugzilla / personal mail / this mailing list. Also other people had no success (neither with my patch nor with their own). Even Wikimedia Foundation's "bug wrangler" André Klapper tried to get into contact with the devs since the patches (and general activity in the project) is of interest to all WMF-Wikis since they use libRSVG as their sole SVG renderer.

Regarding my (admittedly unrepresentative) experience there definitely is some need (at least for some projects) to give casual contributors a way to get their code reviewed and submitted.

Regards
Eduard