Re: Unreviewed patches - is the boat sinking?

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 13:54 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Joanna Larsen <oaksparc gmail com> wrote:
Hello.

I'm new to Gnome. Some time ago I started looking into the inner workings of
it. Reading the source code, learning from it. Coming up with a few ideas.
So I jumped on Bugzilla eager to fix bugs and contribute features.

Until I found this [1]. No it's not the list of open bug reports, it's the
list of unreviewed patches. As of now that's 6138 in total.

Hundreds or thousands of people have taken the time to create a patch,
submit it and then heard absolutely nothing back. Any free software project
would crave for even this many contributions alone.

It would be nice if you didn't have such an alarmist subject.
Clearly, the boat isn't sinking when there are so many active
maintainers.  Your search isn't quite accurate as you've indicated
because you've pulled in all the GNOME 2 components like
gnome-applets.  To normalize it you should get a list of components
that is part of the GNOME 3 platform and then search against them.

To be fair, the report is provided by us _as is_, and it does not
contain any explanation because it is usually consumed in each product
description (see describe.cgi).

If anything, this seems to be a good opportunity to improve the report
to avoid future misunderstandings (via adding a custom report add or
something else).

We don't need to be defensive with a newcomer who genuinely is trying to
help (at least that seems to me), even though we might disagree with the
wording.

That said, Joanna: you can take a look at the report's code in:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bgo-maintainers/bugzilla.gnome.org/3.4/view/head:/extensions/patch-report/lib/PatchReport/Hooks.pm

If you need a hand on any of this items, I could give you a hand and/or
point out the right people to ask for this.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/