Re: RFC: GSound, a GObject library for playing system sounds

hi;

On 4 December 2014 at 11:25, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On 15 November 2014 at 06:37, Tristan Brindle <tcbrindle gmail com> wrote:
As far as I’m concerned it’s ready to be used, so please go ahead and try it out!

I've done this, and it's indeed much nicer than using libcanberra
directly. With my maintainer hat on, I'm not super happy about
depending on yet-another-helper-library. Surely by pushing all your
awesome code into GDK or GTK we would get all this awesome new
functionality for free in the toolkit? This would also mean the
GTK/win32 crowd could contribute a DirectSound version so that it
works on Win32/MinGW too.

I'm not overly on board with shoving even more API inside GDK just to
keep the number of libraries down.

while we got really good feedback for the GL support on Windows and
MacOS, I'm not sure we're going to get a DirectSound API wrapper just
like that.

has anybody done an assessment of the similarities between DirectSound
and canberra? how do these API map to each other? can we do a layer
that is the minimal intersection between the two (and whatever MacOS
has) and still be useful?

remember: once it's in GDK, we're committed to it for all eternity.

I had a small talk with Matthias this morning on IRC (the GTK
maintainer) and he's 100% okay with the idea of pushing this up into
Gdk/GTK. I think if you were to do this, the number of API users would
be two orders of magnitudes higher than as a separate library that may
or may not exist in the users distribution or embedded target.

no, that's the amount of people *compiling* the library. the amount of
users would not increase drastically — given that it's the first time
we've seen somebody doing this work, on Linux, and libcanberra has
been around for almost 5 years.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--