Re: Underlying DE for the Fedora Workstation product

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 22:22 -0500, Alexander GS wrote:
When you abandon active and popular products like that you cause
developers to fork your product and keep it in active development.  Just
like the MATE team is doing today.  In reality MATE is providing the
free support and development that GNOME should really be doing.

GNOME is not a company, and we can't force anybody to work on anything.
If developers (or companies that employ developers) are interested in
continuing GNOME 2 development, they can do so.

That's why I propose the following:

Proposal: GNOME Foundation adopts GNOME 2 (MATE) as an official GNOME
desktop alongside GNOME 3 (GNOME Shell).

As I recall, we reached out to MATE and asked them if they'd like to
continue GNOME 2 development under the GNOME umbrella, including use of
our infrastructure and brand. They declined. That's their right.

I don't know how we can do your proposal. We could make a statement that
GNOME 2 development can continue, but unless developers volunteer to put
in time to make it happen, it's an empty statement.

--
Shaun