Development Question

Hi All;

It seems to me that the "marriage" that Microsoft & Apple enjoy per hardware designed for their software gives them a huge advantage. I see that the Linux community is quite good at coming up with drivers, software, etc for hardware after the fact.

I wonder, what could be accomplished if a Linux based distro had the same advantage? I'm in the early stages of researching just such a company.

We'll be setting up some infrastructure around community involvement and feedback, however I'd be interested in any initial feedback you all have.

I'm thinking that the OS would remain fully open source (GPL) and we'd license the hardware specs in the same way.

Then we could release laptops & desktops that truly have an advantage. The company would couple a solid Linux distro with it's own tweaks (polish & branding & such) coupled with our own hardware.

I suspect that instead of waiting for the current HW vendors to release new hardware and then quickly figure out how to interface with it we can put effort into polish and functionality and quickly become the trend setters for MS and Apple to follow.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance