Heads up: Tracker API version bump

Hello all,

For some time now, we've been bumping the API version in Tracker each stable release (i.e. every 6 months or so). This goes back to a time when the API changes between 0.6 and 0.8 were rather large. These days things are more stable and we've been having a few complaints from modules depending on Tracker for the need to bump the pkg-config version so frequently. Quite right too :)

After checking with the release team some weeks back that it is prudent make this change for this cycle, I've updated Tracker to be API version "1.0". See the commit here:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/tracker/commit/?id=b7a68152321e9251af0c4a2a9ba1978ca3a27b8c

What this means is, that if you're using pkg-config or dlopening Tracker's binaries, you should no longer need to update so frequently and you can now use "-1.0" (e.g. `pkg-config --cflags --libs libtracker-sparql-1.0`).

This should resolves a few¹ issues² for us internally too.

¹ https://git.gnome.org/browse/tracker/commit/?id=c53e772737daa37762711a78ca8b6ad7e55d7591 ² https://git.gnome.org/browse/tracker/commit/?id=377dde0b49ef7686be76b2e19e334f38875d857c

The plan here is to do another unstable tarball release (0.17.2) soon and finally a 0.18.0 release in time with the GNOME releases.

Looking at the roadmap³, this means those depending on Tracker have until the 17th of February when the 3.11.90 beta tarballs are due.

³ https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointEleven

--
Regards,
Martyn