Re: High-DPI GNOME update: great progress, remaining issues

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Brion Vibber <brion pobox com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

On 24 February 2014 17:55, Brion Vibber <brion pobox com> wrote:
The biggest oddity with GNOME proper I see is that the Shell's UI
displays
at half-size, like it's ignoring the scaling. I might just be setting
the
GDK_SCALE improperly though...

nope: you'll need to use the CLUTTER_SCALE environment variable as
well for the shell to pick this up.

though, to be fair, both GTK and Clutter should already pick up the
scaling factor from gnome-settings-daemon.

Setting both GDK_SCALE=2 and CLUTTER_SCALE=2 seems to go a little wonky, at
least in the VM environment (it scales up the things that were already
scaled, too!)...

That's expected things do not work this way. You have to actually set
the xsetting instead of using the environment variable.
There is a gesettings key in org.gnome.desktop.interface called
"scale-factor" try setting this one to "2"