Re: Potential GNOME IDE

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 21:44 -0600, meg ford wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org>
wrote:

        On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 08:02:40PM +0000, Michael Ikey Doherty
        wrote:
        > Heh, true enough. I must admit when I saw the mockup artwork
        for the
        > potential GNOME IDE I somewhat drooled. Is that project
        still "a-go",
        > and if so is there somewhere where I could provide a little
        help?

You might want to ask on #gnome-design to see if they are aware of
anyone working on the IDE. I remember hearing a little about Christian
Hergert's gnome-builder project but other than that I don't believe
the IDE has gone beyond the mockup stage. But I haven't been on irc
much lately, so I may be wrong :)

Meg Ford

Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking about it, and I believe
something could be made of this. However.. I think the name
"gnome-builder" is slightly deceptive. This gives the impression of
building GNOME, which it does not. That's jhbuild's job. Perhaps
"gnome-creator" is more apt.

Another thing: Glade needs to support GtkHeaderBar by default. I'd argue
too that it should be the default option for Application windows, but
thats a bit out of scope for this conversation.

The edit view is seriously limited by the fact it is reliant on tabs for
primary navigation. A TreeView (or similar) should be employed for a
project overview, though we could actually hide this by default in a
GtkRevealer. Given most of us opt for a visible right sidebar with an 80
character width, I'd suggest an OSD style button on the right hand side
to expose the revealer, using a GtkOverlay (in fact, identical to the
setup in gnome-weather.

I'll prepare a mockup of this today, and post for opinions. I'm happy to
undertake a GNOME IDE project, though perhaps at first keep it outside
of GNOME. Also I do not use GNOME's coding style, so perhaps an
agreement could be reached there :) (I personally use 8 spaces for
indent, function calls have no spaces before "(", etc. Think Connman,
but no tabs)

- Ikey

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)