Re: Potential GNOME IDE

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 00:58 -0200, Fernando Cassia wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
We want an IDE built with GTK+. Not only does Netbeans look bad in
GNOME, it looks bad in every other platform, as well.

Are you saying that Java apps can't be properly integrated with
Gnome/GTK? really?

http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/  << Last updated May 2013.

I've had no major issues running Netbeans in Fedora.

FC

That's not what is being said. Netbeans doesn't use the java-gnome
bindings, it uses Swing. That's entirely irrelevant to the comments.

This conversation has.. swung.. towards a tangent. I believe what was
being discussed was the merits of a GNOME-specific IDE. I initially
suggested Eclipse RCP, but it is a rather bulky measure.

The GNOME Builder project seems a sufficient start, and true GNOME
integration seems to be the aim here. Java is not suited to this task by
virtue of being cross-platform. Even with the java-gnome bindings, there
isn't native glib/gio access, etc. The primary language of GNOME's
foundations (i.e. the library underpinnings) is C.

- Ikey

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47