system dbus and Desktop notifications

Hi!

For a udev driven backup script (connect the USB the disk, and the backup starts) I'd like to have desktop notifications that say when the backup starts and when the backup is finished so users can disconnect the USB disk.

Google is helpful, but seems to tell me that these notifications work via the session dbus, not the system dbus. Apparently a solution is to identfy any logged on user, find the related DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and use that to notify the user.

Is this the best there is? Is there no way to notify (all uses) about system events using the system dbus? Are there any plans to create a specification (like https://developer.gnome.org/notification-spec/) for system notifications?

Thanks,

Rolf