Re: Coordination for developer documentations

Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
It's been proved again in recent hackfests, we have a really great
team writing user documentations, and thanks have to be given to
Shaun, and now Kat, for coordinating the effort.

On the other hand we have absolutely no coordination for developer
docs, I maintain developer.gnome.org with the little time I have,
Aleksander helps with Devhelp, there are some punctual changes from
various persons, David maintains gnome-devel-docs, Tomeu did work on
generating python documentation from gobject-introspection a while
ago, Giovanni did it for gjs recently, Jon improved markdown support
in gtk-doc, etc. but all this happens without coordination and it
happens people step on each other's toes, and it hurts.

Developer documentation will be a topic during the Developer
Experience Hackfest, but I believe we will fail again to provide
lasting effects if nobody takes on a coordination role.

From my point of view, the main thing we need right now is a shared
vision for where we are trying to get to. Thankfully there are a lot
of excellent ideas circulating about this, and the upcoming hackfest
will be a great opportunity to come up with a plan we can all work
towards. This should hopefully help to reduce coordination issues.

So, are you interested?

It would help to know a bit more about what you think this
coordination role would involve. Are you concerned with keeping
technical changes in step, for example, or is it more the content in
our hand written documentation that we need to be careful about?

Maybe the concerned parties just need to be made aware of how their
work might affect others? Or maybe the dependencies between components
need to be more clearly spelled out?

Allan