Re: Translating GObject properties names and descriptions

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 07:20:19PM +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
this blog from Stack Overflow about the introduction of their
localised version in Portuguese gives a nice introduction to the
issue, and some very interesting discussion points:

http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2014/02/cant-we-all-be-reasonable-and-speak-english/

in short: increasing the localization of documentation for non-English
speaking developers increases the visibility of those developers to
the overall community, and that is a good thing.

For Stack Overflow it was more for writing. Here for GObject properties
it is only for reading purposes.

from a library maintainer perspective, I'd probably remove the
localization around the "blurb" field — or even set it to NULL, given
that it's pretty much pointless. I'd still keep the localization of
the nick: a GUI half in english and half in the user's language would
look pretty poor to me.

Sounds like a good plan.

Thank you for your response.

Sébastien