Re: gnome-control-center - Adding natural scrolling support for mouse

Hi Diego,

My name is Diego Giagio, I'm a software developer and this is my first email to this list. I want to contribute a patch to gnome-control-center to add support for natural scrolling to mouse devices (currently there's support for natural scrolling on touchpads only).

The best thing to do would be to file a bug against gnome-control-center and attach your patch. That way the designers can give you feedback on the UI, and the maintainers can give you feedback on your code.

Since this patch would involve changing the Mouse & Touchpad settings user interface, I'm linking two screen shots[1][2] with the current and suggested interfaces. I'm basically moving the "Natural scrolling" checkbox from "Touchpad" to "General" pane as it's related to both mouse and touchpad. Another way of doing that is to add another checkbox with the same label on the "Mouse" pane.

My two cents: I much prefer “natural” scrolling on a touchpad, but “orthodox” scrolling with a mouse, so from my point of view it would be preferable to be able to set the two separately. Trying to use a mouse plugged into my Macbook drives me nuts, because OS X has only one setting for both.

But that’s just my opinion :-)

Cheers,

Tristan