Re: Only fallback mode with kernel 3.16

On 2014-09-13 21:31, Jan Niggemann wrote:
Hi list,

I'm currently looking into a weird behavior with GNOME 3 starting in
fallback mode every now and then.
I only experience this issue with the latest 3.16 kernel, I suspect
an issue with my graphics driver.
There are no issues using 3.14.18 instead, perhaps there's less video
RAM available when running kernel 3.16...

To debug, I need to know when, why GNOME starts in fallback mode
(using llvmpipe).

Debian stable, 32bit, Lenovo T400
GNOME Shell 3.4.2

You might find your answer in dmesg. On Archlinux we have several open bugreports about intel drivers not working with 3.16.x. Fixes for most issues are available, but still not merged in 3.16 stable branch.

Also keep in mind that xf86-video-intel, kernel (DRI subsystem) and mesa are under constant development. It's possible that a change in the kernel breaks something in older versions of mesa or xf86-video-intel.