Re: Discouraging use of sync APIs

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 14:02 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 12:53 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
<snip>
I do agree with Philip's proposal of warning if the sync API is called
inside the default main context, even if there's the obvious issue of
console-only code that still uses a main loop, but does not have
interactivity issues.

I wouldn't want that. I can certainly see that as a necessary evil (say
on application startup), and would rather it threw an error if that sync
call took too long instead.

Why can the startup code not use a GMainLoop? Is there some pattern I’ve
missed? I thought in all such situations you could still do with a main
loop so you could handle Ctrl+C nicely.

Philip