Re: Canonical jhbuild documentation

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 12:33 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
[...]
Um, I don't think it is. You originally said:

"So Proposal is: https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeLove/BuildGnome

is the only documentation on wiki.gnome.org, the rest gets retired and
merged into jhbuild documentation."

What I'm suggesting, and what Fred and Carlos seem to have done, is
that BuildGnome gets merged into the official manual. This makes the
manual the canonical place for documentation, whether it is for new
GNOME contributors, or for more generic JHBuild usage.

IMHO, the jhbuild documentation is more like a reference manual, whereas
the information for newcomers is like a tutorial (or expected to be).

Maybe both could be in the same documentation/place, but the separation
between both approaches should be clear.

A reference manual is not as useful as a tutorial when somebody is
giving its first steps on a learning process.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/