Re: Discouraging use of sync APIs

One of Philip's earlier suggestions was to print a console warning if a sync call is used.  That seems like overkill to me, but it does lead to another possibility.

Technically the issue is long synchronous calls blocking the event loop, but in practice the problem is GTK+'s events being starved.  Perhaps a more feasible solution would be to issue a console warning when a paint or resize event sits on the event loop for too long.

At the end of the day, async is something you design for, it doesn't just happen (especially in straight-up imperative languages like C and C++).  No matter how many console warnings, documentation exclamation marks, or API changes are made, it's all about getting developers to treat I/O like event-driven programming.  I know Jasper wishes apps would only paint in the draw signal; getting everyone on-board with pure-async code is a similar crusade.

-- Jim