Re: Discouraging use of sync APIs

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 21:26 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
On 11/02/15 21:10, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
Another example: for some odd reason, GLocalFileInputStream isn't a
pollable output stream

(I assume you mean GLocalFileOutputStream.)

Why was this done? I don't know.

AIUI, because all Unix kernels treat local I/O as arbitrarily fast,
hence "local" files (which might in fact be NFS-mounted from another
continent) are not usefully pollable.

It doesn't have to NFS-mounted to be slow.

The crappy SSD in this laptop also sometimes gets itself into a state
where writes are *extremely* slow, and you really notice the apps which
are writing to local files from their main loop.

--
dwmw2