Re: Canonical jhbuild documentation

Carlos Soriano Sanchez <csoriano redhat com> wrote:
When I created the series of BuildGnome & CodeContributionWorkflow my intention was creating a simple
straightforward workflow
for contributing to Gnome for newcommers to Gnome and/or FOSS. So the simpler the better.
BuildGnome it is not a generic jhbuild guide, it's a guide for get started asap in Gnome which uses jhbuild
to build and run
Gnome applications. That's it. I don't think a newcomer needs more.

Thanks for all the work you've put into the guides, Carlos, as well as
advising newcomers. It's really great to have you involved with this.

I agree that it makes sense to have a separate guide that is targeted
at people who want to get up and running as quickly as possible.

But if we agree that Jhbuild is just used only for contributing Gnome, then we could merge some simple
guide as
the official documentation.

As I've said previously, I don't see why a "basic usage" or "getting
started" section couldn't be added to the official docs. People will
naturally gravitate towards these, and it is good to avoid the docs
being a dead end.

That said, it is important that you are happy maintaining these pages
if they are in Mallard. The wiki is obviously working for you right
now as an author, and it would be a shame if you lost your momentum
due to any change to where the page is kept.

That's just my opinion though - it's your work; feel free to decide
what you think is best.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to have xdg-app and no longer need Jhbuild for this =)

Indeed!

Allan