Re: Installing DBus interface files for services

On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 14:40 +0800, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Philip Withnall
<philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
        I can’t think of any reasons why not. Perhaps a GDBus automake
        snippet

        could be installed by GLib which:
         1. Installs D-Bus XML interface files.
         2. Includes rules for building documentation and C/H files
        from them.
         3. Validates the XML interface files for well-formedness.

I think that would be really helpful; note that my goal here would be
just to make things more convenient for developers and not to use it
as a way to guarantee API stability of a service through
auto-generated code.
In that sense, I see your points 1), 3) and the first half of 2) as
something typically used by the service, and the second half of 2) as
something a consumer would call.

Yes, making sure the snippet doesn’t confuse the two use cases is a good
point.

Another thing that to take into consideration is that some projects
currently encode the location of the DBus interface xml into their
pkgconfig file [1].
Is that something we should recommend? I believe if we had this
snippet, the macro could just do a lookup following the usual rules of
XDG_DATA_DIRS and we could avoid using pkgconfig, but perhaps I'm
missing something.

IMO, no, we shouldn’t recommend that. The ‘${datadir}/dbus-1/interfaces’
path should be well known, and the interface files should follow the
interface names, which are already hard-coded into the client code
anyway (since it calls them). So we can avoid running pkg-config here.

Philip