Re: multiple gdm

You cannot run two different X servers at the same time which act on different monitors. At least, it's not possible with the open-source stack, and I highly doubt it's possible with NVIDIA proprietary either.

The syntax for ":0.0" and ":0.1" is composed of two parts: the X Display (":0") and the X Screen (".0"). These are two different resources inside the X server.

GNOME *might* support using syntax like DISPLAY=:0.1 to run on a specific X11 screen (you can test it with something bare like `DISPLAY=:0.1 gnome-shell` while logged in), but it's an unsupported configuration.

Unfortunately, GNOME doesn't allow the same user to log in twice, even if on different X11 screens. Most applications, especially ones like Firefox, use the user's home directory as a place to store settings and configuration, and if two Firefox instances are running, it will get confused and your settings will become corrupt.

A lot of other GNOME applications work the same way (a system known as "dconf" saves settings in your home directory, and we have a per-session writer which makes sure that the database is serialized to disk. If there are two writer instances, your database becomes corrupt).

Hopefully that explains things and answers your question.