Re: How do you hack on GNOME? How can we do better?

Michael Catanzaro wrote:

 3) Hacking on session level components (gnome-session, gnome-shell,
gnome-settings-daemon), and the libraries they use (gnome-desktop,
clutter)
[...]
Do you log into a jhbuild session? as yourself? as a test user?

I used to do 3 on rare occasions, but stopped doing that because I no
longer remember how I ever managed to run a GNOME session under jhbuild
in the past. There used to be instructions on the wiki, but they got
deleted at some point because they became outdated. The problems I
wanted to fix were never so urgent as to convince me to impel me to
figure it out on my own. Pretty sure new contributors have no chance
here.

Instructions are still available in the jhbuild documentation itself,
  https://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/stable/jhbuild-and-gnome.html.en#running-gnome

There may be errors and parts could be simplified (GDK_USE_XFT...) but
if you're up for it I'd be happy to spend some time with you, during
GUADEC?, to get them working on your laptop, then updated online.

(survey answer: I run such a jhbuild session and I mostly use "jhbuild
make" in the module I'm working on)

        Fred