Re: Death of gnome-common

On Sun, 2015-06-21 at 19:54 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
OK, next problem. The porting guide says:

"Firstly, add

AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

to your configure.ac, and

ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = --install -I m4 ${ACLOCAL_FLAGS}

to your top-level Makefile.am, regardless of which of the two options
you choose below."

But I see in Automake's NEWS file:

  - The ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS special make variable will be fully
deprecated
in
    Automake 2.0: it will raise warnings in the "obsolete" category
(but
    still no hard error of course, for compatibilities with the many,
many
    packages that still relies on that variable).  You are advised to
    start relying on the new Automake support for
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS
    instead (which was introduced in Automake 1.13).

Do we require automake 1.13 though? Automake 2.0 isn’t out yet (though
it looks cool), so I’d be tempted to leave in the ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS
recommendation for backwards compatibility until automake 2.0 is
released, and then bump everyone’s dependency to automake 1.13 and drop
use of ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS.

Unless you think automake 2.0 is being released imminently, and we
should instead be adding a hard dependency on automake 1.13 and using
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS to begin with?

Philip