Re: Hello, question about gnome overlay windows

The only difference between GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL and GTK_WINDOW_POPUP
is that the former is managed by the window manager, and the latter is
not. Both of them can have child controls.

Normally, when a window manager manages a toplevel window, it puts a
border around the window, but you can set a hint to the window manager
to tell it not to do this with the gtk_window_set_decorated()
function. Setting this to false will disable the border and drop
shadow.

The stacking order of a window is controlled by the window manager
under X11. GNOME's window manager is named "mutter". As you can see
here in mutter's source code [0], there is no way to click on a
window, no matter what it is, without raising it.

[0] https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tree/src/core/window.c#n7811