Re: GNOME Shell browser plugin

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> writes:

On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 16:05 +0100, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
Are those bugs in WebKit or the plugin itself?

I don't know. I guess most likely there are bugs in both places, but if
I knew what was wrong I wouldn't be proposing this. The plugin
apparently works fine in Firefox, so there's at minimum some difference
of behavior between WebKit and Firefox.

I've been trying it out, and the only problem I've seen is that the
plugin module is unloaded by the browser when not used anymore, and
reloaded again when needed (for example when navigating). This is not
supported by GObject (unless for objects registered dynamically). I've
attached a patch to bug #737932 to ensure the module is never
unloaded. With the patch applied I have been able to check my installed
extensions, configure them, install a new one, enable/disable it and
uninstall it. The only think that sometimes didn't work was the
enable/disable, that got out of sync between the web ui and the actual
state. Reloading the page fixed it, so it looks like a bug somewhere.
I guess the reason why it works in firefox is because firefox never
unloads the plugins.

Michael

--
Carlos Garcia Campos