Re: Integrate ITS Tool with gettext and Autotools

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 11:41:59AM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
No, not really. It's easier to see if a string is translatable if
there is an attribute called "translate" or "translatable".

There is a difference between:
<tag translatable="yes">String to translate</tag>

And:
<tag attribute="Value to translate" another_attribute="Value" />

For the latter, it is convenient to prefix an attribute with an
underscore to mark it for translation. If the XML parser supports it
directly, no need for a *.in file.

And, for the latter, having an underscore is clearer to know which
strings are translated.

But if the XML parser doesn't support it, a *.in is needed if, for the
same attribute, sometimes we want to translate the value and sometimes
not. (Example: for a glade catalog file, we generally don't want to
translate GObject class names).

Also, sometimes we don't want to
translate something, although the attribute is marked for translation.

That's… I can't fathom the process. If something should not be
translated, don't mark it for translation.

It was a misunderstanding.

If the ITS rule says that 'bar' attributes for tag 'foo' are marked for
translation, then all 'bar' values will be extracted in the *.pot file.

--
Sébastien