Re: Maybe deprecating libgweather

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
Any comments / opinions?

Just yesterday I was fighting with gnome-clocks to try and insert a timezone instead of a city. Reading the libgweather source, I feel like the model it assumes is too rigid (+1 wrt cities requiring METAR codes). Worse than that, though, is the assumption by applications using libgweather that location is a preferred proxy for timezones. Of course, that's great for things like automatically setting DST, but setting just a straight time zone is outside the bounds of the model.

I tried writing a patch for Locations.xml to add some dummy entries for timezones, but such dummy entries would carry the extra baggage of a location like METAR codes and whatnot. It would be great if libgweather had a common API for querying locations and timezones in a way that still allowed transparent updates to DST in most cases.

So I'm +1 for deprecation as well. Maybe it could be reintroduced later after an API rework?