Re: Enabling builddir != srcdir by default in jhbuild

Hi;

On 28 February 2016 at 15:06, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 02:33:02PM +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
    buildroot = '~/gnome/build'

I agree it's a good idea, but I'll need to change a little my habits
when I run 'make' in only one sub-directory. Instead of being at the
same place in the git repo, I'll need to be somewhere in ~/gnome/build/.

I'd like to note that if you use `jhbuild make` from within your
project's directory, everything will work much better by default.

If you're using `jhbuild build $foo`, and the build fails, then you
can drop into a shell inside the build directory, if you want to check
why the build is failing.

Finally, I find it useful to have two terminal tabs — one for
building, and the other for editing the source; this also simplifies
the "edit-build-fix-build" cycle.

And instead of 'git clean -xdf' or -Xdf, I can 'rm -rf ~/gnome/build/'
to start again with a clean build.

The build root is namespaced, so you'd do `rm -rf
~/gnome/build/your-project` instead. The nice bit is that all
build-related files won't go into the local repository, which means
less build artefacts lying around to begin with; it also allows you to
avoid deleting untracked files you just added to the repository while
trying to clean the build (something that happened to me until I got
into the habit of using "git add newfile" as soon as I add a new
file).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--