Re: Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:23:13 AM CEST Peter Hutterer wrote:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 04:34:37PM -0400, Drew DeVault wrote:
Greetings! I am the maintainer of the Sway Wayland compositor.

http://swaywm.org

It's almost the Year of Wayland on the Desktop(tm), and I have
reached out to each of the projects this message is addressed to (GNOME,
Kwin, and wayland-devel) to collaborate on some shared protocol
extensions for doing a handful of common tasks such as display
configuration and taking screenshots. Life will be much easier for
projects like ffmpeg and imagemagick if they don't have to implement
compositor-specific code for capturing the screen!

I want to start by establishing the requirements for these protocols.
Broadly speaking, I am looking to create protocols for the following
use-cases:

- Screen capture
- Output configuration
- More detailed surface roles (should it be floating, is it a modal,

  does it want to draw its own decorations, etc)

- Input device configuration

a comment on the last point: input device configuration is either extremely
simple ("I want tapping enabled") or complex ("This device needs feature A
when condition B is met"). There is very little middle ground.

as a result, you either have some generic protocol that won't meet the niche
cases or you have a complex protocol that covers all the niche cases but
ends up being just a shim between the underlying implementation and the
compositor. Such a layer provides very little benefit but restricts what
the compositor can add in the future. It's not a good idea, imo.

I agree. I think that's something best left to the respective compositor
specific configuration modules.

Cheers
Martin