Re: Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:14:25 AM CEST Drew DeVault wrote:
On 2016-03-29 10:25 AM, Martin Graesslin wrote:
- More detailed surface roles (should it be floating, is it a modal,

  does it want to draw its own decorations, etc)

Concerning own decoration we have implemented https://quickgit.kde.org/?
p=kwayland.git&a=blob&h=8bc106c7c42a40f71dad9a884824a7a9899e7b2f&hb=818e32
0bd99867ea9c831edfb68c9671ef7dfc47&f=src
%2Fclient%2Fprotocols%2Fserver-decoration.xml

Excellent. The protocol looks like it'll do just fine.

I think especially for compositors like sway that can be very helpful. For
Qt we implemented support in our QPT plugin for Plasma. So if sway wants
to use it I can give you pointers on how to use it in your own QPT plugin
(if you don't have one yet how to create it) and to use it to force
QtWayland to not use the client side decorations.

I would love to see something like that. Can we work on a model that
would avoid making users install qt to install Sway?

Ah I think there is a small misunderstanding on the QPT plugin. QPT is the Qt
Platform Theme which is a plugin loaded into Qt applications to adjust it to
the platform. So to say a standardized way for LD_PRELOAD.

So you would not have to force a toolkit on your users. It's just that when a
Qt application is used you can provide a plugin to make Qt apps behave better.

Honestly I'd like
to just set an environment variable to turn off CSD where possible, for
both Qt and GTK. I'm still trying to avoid forcing a toolkit on users.

For Qt you can try:
export QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_WINDOWDECORATION=1

it gets rid of Qt's CSD deco and replaces them by nothing. We have that set in
our QPT plugin.

And yeah, in general it would be nice to have the toolkits implement this
protocol. We didn't go for that yet as we had a release schedule mismatch
between Plasma and Qt.

Cheers
Martin