Re: gettext

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 4:08 AM Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 12:36 AM,  <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:

> I've done some work on this; I rewrote the wiki page titled "Localize using
> Gettext and Intltool" [1] so that it doesn't mention intltool anymore. Since
> it's a pretty drastic revision, I put it in a paste [2], maybe someone wants
> to check if I haven't been too overzealous in deleting?
>
> Furthermore, here's the migration guide [3]. Caveats are that I did this
> mostly by looking back at some commits that I made a few months ago, and
> I've never done it for AppData files, so it could probably use some
> independent verification.

I've briefly looked over the migration guide. Some comments/corrections:

- Current gettext _does_ support its files, and some gnome projects
install their own now: glib installs gschema.its, and gtk+ installs
gtkbuilder.its, etc. The its support may be a 0.19.7 addition.

- There is some unclear information about what file formats require
merging translations back, and which don't: gschema and gtkbuilder
files reference the gettext domain for translation at runtime - you
don't merge translations back into the xml.

Thanks, Matthias. Indeed it is a 0.19.7 feature. I've updated the migration guide and now I'll go update my own project to 0.19.7 to make sure my advice is correct :-P

Regards,
Philip C