Re: GNOME Build situation and BuildStream

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:21:37PM +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Thu, 2017-04-27 at 14:41 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
[...]
With jhbuild, when we enter into a jhbuild shell we are still in the
same directory, usually inside the git repository. With builddir ==
srcdir we have all the files that we can directly open with our
preferred text editor. When we open a new terminal tab, we are in the
same directory where we are able to 1) do git commands 2) building
(with
recursive make) 3) launching executables 4) editing files, etc.

With BuildStream, will it be similar?

[...]

So, this is a little bit fiddly compared to working entirely within one
build sandbox, only because you really need to exit and enter a sandbox
environment when you want to try something out, otherwise it's snappy
(and maybe a convenience command to say "build + shell" in one go could
reduce a bit of typing).

On the bright side, you never ever trust your host environment for
anything, except for a display server and session bus in the case that
you use `bst shell` to run things.

OK, thanks for your detailed explanation.

--
Sébastien